People Can Really Change
by Paul Tautges | April 29, 2014 9:48 am
In the blockbuster film Frozen, one of the mother trolls believes, “people don’t really change.” But is this true, biblically? No, of course it isn’t. Salvation is about transformation, not merely forgiveness and eternal life. The good news of the gospel is not only that Jesus Christ died and rose again to redeem us from the penalty of sin so that we can enjoy eternal life in heaven someday. But God also has redeemed us from the power of sin so that we can be transformed into the image of Christ (Rom 8:29; Col 3:10) and live for the one who died and rose again on our behalf (2 Cor 5:15).
What are the reasons we can change? In their new book, God’s Solutions to Life’s Problems, the father and son team, Wayne and Joshua Mack, gives us four reasons true believers can really change.
- We can change because of the plan and power of God. “God did not save us because we were holy, but He did save us to be holy. To say that you can’t change is to say that the great plan of God will be thwarted by you!”
- We can change because of the grace of God. “If you are a believer, you can change because of the grace of God (Titus 2:11-12)….It is ludicrous to say that a Christian can’t change.”
- We can change because of the promises of God. Based on the truth of 1 Corinthians 10:13, the authors assure us: “God promises that you will not be given more than you, by His grace, can handle. So you don’t have to sin when you are in the midst of temptation. You can overcome!”
- We can change because of the commands of God. “What would be the point of that command [to put on the new self and walk the new walk, Ephesians 4:20-24] if it were impossible to obey? Paul expects Christians to change. Change is not an option. It’s a command. To say that you can’t change is to say that the commands of God are futile.”
If you are a true believer (a possessor and not merely a professor) then you are already a new creature in Christ (2 Cor 5:17). That is true of every genuine, converted believer. Now, to become holy we must daily put on the new man. This is a call to discipline ourselves for the sake of godliness, to put away godless myths and get serious about training ourselves in the ways of God (1Timothy 4:7).
God’s Solutions to Life’s Problems is available at Amazon and CVBBS.
- Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Solutions-Lifes-Problems-Radical/dp/159638932X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398695815&sr=1-1&keywords=god%27s+solutions+to+life%27s+problems
- CVBBS: http://www.cvbbs.com/inventory.php?target=indiv&search_back=keywords%3Dgod%27s+solutions+to+life%27s+problems%26searchstyle%3Dall%26page%3D1%26title_keyword%3D%26isbn_keyword%3D%26publisher_keyword%3D%26author_keyword%3D%26sort_by%3D&bookid=14305
- [Image] Follow: http://www.specificfeeds.com/follow
- : https://twitter.com/share
- [Image] : mailto:?subject=People%20Can%20Really%20Change&body=People%20Can%20Really%20Change%20-%20http%3A%2F%2Fcounselingoneanother.com%2F2014%2F04%2F29%2Fpeople-can-really-change%2F
Source URL: http://counselingoneanother.com/2014/04/29/people-can-really-change/
Copyright ©2019 Counseling One Another unless otherwise noted.