7 Reasons to Study Theology
by Paul Tautges | August 24, 2017 8:51 am
Every person is a theologian. Due to the fact that we’ve been created in the image of God with a conscience stirred by an innate God-consciousness, we all have an interest in theology. Theology is what we think about God, which then determines what we think about ourselves and how we live in relation to God and others. It is the content of our faith, our belief system. Therefore, it is of supreme importance that we commit ourselves to the study of doctrine.
Scottish pastor and theologian John Dick (1764-1833) gave the following reasons in his systematic theology.
- To ascertain the character of God in its aspect toward us.
- To contemplate the display of his attributes in his works and dispensations.
- To discover his designs toward man in his original and his present state.
- To know this mighty Being, as far as he may be known, [which] is the noblest aim of the human understanding.
- To learn our duty to him, the means of enjoying his favor, the hopes which we are authorized to entertain, and the wonderful expedient by which our fallen race is restored to purity and happiness.
- To love him, the most worthy exercise of our affections.
- To serve him, the most honorable and delightful purpose to which we can devote our time and talents.
This list is derived from Biblical Doctrine: A Systematic Summary of Bible Truth, John MacArthur and Richard Mayhue, general editors.
- Biblical Doctrine: A Systematic Summary of Bible Truth: https://www.cvbbs.com/inventory.php?target=indiv&search_back=keywords%3Dbiblical+doctrine%26searchstyle%3Dtitle%26page%3D1%26title_keyword%3D%26isbn_keyword%3D%26publisher_keyword%3D%26author_keyword%3D%26sort_by%3D&bookid=15239
- [Image] Follow: http://www.specificfeeds.com/follow
- : https://twitter.com/share
- [Image] : mailto:?subject=7%20Reasons%20to%20Study%20Theology&body=7%20Reasons%20to%20Study%20Theology%20-%20http%3A%2F%2Fcounselingoneanother.com%2F2017%2F08%2F24%2F7-reasons-to-study-theology%2F
Source URL: http://counselingoneanother.com/2017/08/24/7-reasons-to-study-theology/
Copyright ©2017 Counseling One Another unless otherwise noted.