12 Ways the Holy Spirit Energizes Discipleship Counseling
by Paul Tautges | September 2, 2011 9:55 am
True Christian counseling is impossible without the ministry of the Holy Spirit working inside, and alongside, those involved in the discipleship process. Without His work, counseling remains mere self-help talk. How then does the third member of the trinity energize the “counseling process”? Consider these 12 ways in your personal, or small group, Bible study.
- The Spirit prays for the counselor when he/she does not know how to pray, or counsel (Rom. 8:26).
- The Spirit convicts unbelievers of their sin, God’s righteousness, and warns them of the coming judgment (Jn 16:7-11).
- The Spirit regenerates and calls unbelievers to faith in Christ (Jn 3:5-8; Titus 3:5).
- The Spirit has baptized believers into the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:12).
- The Spirit has sealed believers unto the day of redemption (Eph. 1:13, 4:30).
- The Spirit indwells believers, thus making us God’s possession in Christ (Jn 14:16-17; 1 Cor. 19-20).
- The Spirit fills (controls) believers as we walk by the Word (Eph. 5:15-20; Col. 3:16).
- The Spirit assures struggling believers of their sure standing as children of God (Rom. 8:12-16).
- The Spirit teaches us God’s truth (Jn 14:25-26; 15:26; 16:12-14).
- The Spirit empowers the believer’s verbal witness (Jn 15:26; 16:7; Acts 1:8).
- The Spirit equips believers to comprehend the mind of Christ (Scripture), thus making us competent to counsel one another (1 Cor. 2:7-11; Rom. 12:3-8; 15:14).
- The Spirit progressively transforms believers into the image of Christ (2 Cor. 3:18).
May this biblical study increase your confidence in the Holy Spirit and His power to transform our lives!
Source URL: https://counselingoneanother.com/2011/09/02/11-ways-the-holy-spirit-energizes-discipleship-counseling/
Copyright ©2021 Counseling One Another unless otherwise noted.