Flashback Friday – 23 Reasons for Joy (from Philippians)
by Paul Tautges | September 2, 2016 8:10 am
Since I’ve been preaching through Philippians since February, the themes of joy and rejoicing are reoccurring. Here’s a rerun post from 2012, the fruit of spending time there during my daily devotions.
The book of Philippians has been my food for the past month, or so, in response to the encouragement of a faithful brother of mine. Having struggled my whole life with negative thought patterns, which come so easily—without any conscious effort—I am asking the Lord to train me in a pattern of joy. Perhaps this is an area where Christlike growth is needed in your heart and life too? Toward the goal of re-training our hearts, consider the following reasons to be joyful. Let this list be a starting point for you to meditate on the Word of God.
- You have grace and peace from God (1:2)
- God will finish the good work of transformation into the image of Christ that He began through the gospel (1:6)
- Fellow believers are a gift from God, partakers with you of grace (1:7)
- In Christ, you are filled with the fruit of righteousness (1:11)
- God works your circumstances to His glory (1:12)
- Christ is proclaimed, whether or not the preacher’s motives are always pure (1:18)
- Christ will be exalted in your body, whether by your life or by your death (1:20)
- Your death will be gain (1:21)
- True, likeminded believers who live in love and unity (2:2)
- Setting your mind on the humility of Christ (2:5-11)
- The privilege of serving in gospel work (2:17-18)
- One loyal friend and co-worker (2:20)
- The mercy of God in the sorrows of life (2:28-30)
- The Lord himself is reason to rejoice (3:1; 4:4)
- The surpassing value of knowing Christ (3:7-8)
- Pressing toward the goal of Christ (3:13-16)
- Your true citizenship is in heaven (3:20)
- True brothers and sisters who are loved by God and who love you (4:1)
- God hears your thankful prayers and gives you peace (4:6-7)
- Developing godly thought patterns is possible in Christ (4:8)
- You are loved by other believers (4:11)
- Contentment is yours in Christ (4:12)
- God faithfully meets your needs and the needs of your fellow believers in Christ (4:17-19)
Finally, my brothers and sisters, let us rejoice.
Source URL: https://counselingoneanother.com/2016/09/02/flashback-friday-23-reasons-for-joy-from-philippians/
Copyright ©2023 Counseling One Another unless otherwise noted.