If You’re Interested in Economics
by Paul Tautges | April 17, 2020 9:30 am
Recently, I reached out to the folks at Westminster Books to ask if they had any book recommendations for someone who wanted to learn more about economics (not financial stewardship/budgeting/etc) from a biblical worldview. Here’s their response.
Hi Paul, thanks for reaching out! Here are a few resources that come to mind:
From a Christian Perspective:
- Economics: A Students Guide by Greg Forster might be the most specific towards the topic in general, although I’ve only read a couple chapters.
- Practicing in the King’s Economy might be a bit closer to stewardship, but does get at some broader concepts of micro and macro economics. It is probably one of my all-time favorite books so I’ll include it just in case it’s relevant!
- Becoming Whole is more of a cultural/economic analysis, drawing specific comparisons between Western and Eastern cultures. Equal parts robust scientific research, cultural analysis, and biblical teaching, with a particular emphasis on poverty alleviation.
The 2nd and 3rd recommendations are both resources from the Chalmers Center, the group that also produced When Helping Hurts. Although their main focus is poverty alleviation, I’d consider them the foremost experts on economics coming from a solidly biblical foundation.
From a non-Christian Perspective:
- Predictably Irrational is a really fun read and provides some fascinating case studies in some basic economic drivers.
- Anything from Jim Collins is worth reading to understand more about business.
Hope this is helpful!
- Economics: A Students Guide: https://www.wtsbooks.com/products/economics-a-students-guide-9781433539237?variant=9795732013103?utm_source=ptautges&utm_medium=blogpartners
- When Helping Hurts: https://www.wtsbooks.com/products/when-helping-hurts-how-to-alleviate-poverty-without-hurting-the-poor-and-yourself-steve-fikkert-corbett-9780802409980?variant=9784438751279?utm_source=ptautges&utm_medium=blogpartners
- Predictably Irrational: https://www.amazon.com/Predictably-Irrational-text-First-Ariely/dp/B004NS8T1C/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=predictably+irrational&qid=1586910050&s=books&sr=1-3
Source URL: https://counselingoneanother.com/2020/04/17/if-youre-interested-in-economics/
Copyright ©2021 Counseling One Another unless otherwise noted.