This is probably the most common question I receive when people contact me through this blog. Therefore, I was pleased to see my friend Bob Kellemen answer it pretty much exactly the same way I have for years, and would like to share his recent post with you (and Bob’s permission). Here it is:
Where do you turn when you or someone you care about is hurting?
Finding a biblical counselor who will minister God’s truth to you in Christ’s love is vital. If you are searching for a biblical counselor, I recommend that you visit the following biblical counseling organizations.
- ABC (Association of Biblical Counselors) maintains a list of vetted biblical counselors that you can find at The Biblical Counseling Network.
- CCEF (Christian Counseling and Educational Foundation) can be contacted at email@example.com for information regarding CCEF trained biblical counselors. You can also visit their Counseling Services page to get counseling through CCEF directly.
- IABC (International Association of Biblical Counselors) maintains a list of certified biblical counselors. Their list is searchable by states and includes 8 countries. You can visit it at Find a Counselor.
- The ACBC (Association of Certified Biblical Counselors) maintains a list of certified biblical counselors. Their list is searchable by zip code. You can visit it at Find a Counselor.
You can find these lists and additional information about finding biblical counseling help at the Biblical Counseling Coalition’s Find a Biblical Counselor Page.
While ABC, CCEF, IABC, and ACBC work diligently to screen any ministry or individual in their list:
- It is important for you to personally research the church, ministry, or individual listed.
- If you search these recommended links and find a biblical counselor in your area, please exercise due diligence and contact them with pertinent questions.
- The Biblical Counseling Coalition’s Confessional Statement is a good starting place as you seek to find a qualified biblical counselor who is a good match for your convictions.
- I also recommend the ABC’s document: Questions to Ask When Choosing a Counselor.
[Originally posted by RPM Ministries.]