Are You Thriving or Diving?
We all go through times of trial. We are all tossed here and there by the storms of life. But how do we ride through the storms without sinking or drowning? Psalm 46 directs us to shift our focus from our troubles to the faithful care of God.
Last Sunday, our associate pastor Ed Fedor preached an encouraging sermon from this famous psalm. His main point was this: Where you fix your gaze in times of trouble determines whether you will thrive or dive.
Looking DOWN Results in…
- Vulnerability (v. 1)
- Weakness (v. 1)
- Fear (v. 2)
- Anxiety (vv. 4, 10)
- Instability (v. 5)
Looking UP Results in…
- Security in God’s arms (v. 1)
- Strength in God’s grace (v. 1)
- Peace in God’s help (v. 2)
- Joy in God’s providence (v. 4)
- Steadiness in God’s presence (vv. 5-7)
- Wonder at God’s power (v. 8)
- Confidence in God’s sovereignty (v. 10)
BIG PICTURE Thoughts about Trials
- God does not promise to spare believers from all hardships (Jn. 16:33; 2 Cor. 11:23-29).
- God does promise to help believers in our hardships (2 Cor. 4:7-12).
- God want you to know Him intimately (Ps. 46:10).
- God wants to deepen your faith (2 Cor. 4:16-18; Rom. 5:3-5).
- God wants to minister through you (2 Cor. 1:3-7).
If you are going through a time of trial, be sure to listen to this encouraging sermon.