Some parents in our society think that funerals are not appropriate for children, that they are too morbid or will produce an unnecessary fear of death. However, my wife and I have always brought our children to funerals. How else will they begin to understand the reality of death? If a child’s only encounter with death comes via television or movies (i.e. imaginary people), how will they learn to deal with the life changes that take place when they lose a real person whom they know and deeply love? When we shelter our children from death we rob them of this important part of growing toward maturity. Attending funerals often leads to memorable discussions about life after death, which in turn opens the door to teaching the gospel to our children (John 11). Perhaps this is just one reason that King Solomon said that attending a funeral is better than going to a party. Facing the reality of death head-on causes the living to take it to heart (Ecclesiastes 7:2-4).
About the Author
By God’s grace, I’m a husband, dad, grandpa, and a pastor at Cornerstone Community Church in Mayfield Hts, OH. I love Christ because He first loved me.
THE NEWEST BOOK
“Paul has found the right passages and brought us into them so they can be brought into us.”- Ed Welch
A practical Bible study workbook for individuals and small groups…
Subscribe By Email
“I give it a hearty double-thumbs-up!” – Joni Eareckson Tada
“My wife and I just devoured it.” – Josh Weidmann
“I commend this wonderful little volume.” – Walter C. Kaiser, Jr.
“I heartily recommend this book” – Walter C. Kaiser, Jr.
“This book gets it right!” – John MacArthur
“a biblically faithful, practically helpful guide” – Brian Croft
“…one of my favorite books on prayer” – Mark Dever
“…scatters the darkness of our doubts” – David Murray
- RESOURCES: Abuse
- RESOURCES: Addictions & Habitual Sins
- RESOURCES: Adoption
- RESOURCES: Anger
- RESOURCES: Anxiety, Fear, Panic
- RESOURCES: Conflicts
- RESOURCES: Cutting & Self-Harm
- RESOURCES: Depression & Spiritual Discouragement
- RESOURCES: Disorderly Eating
- RESOURCES: Finances & Debt Reduction
- RESOURCES: Forgiveness & Bitterness
- RESOURCES: Grief, Loss, & Dying
- RESOURCES: Mental Illness
- RESOURCES: Parenting Prodigal Children
- RESOURCES: Post Traumatic Stress
- RESOURCES: Same-Sex Attractions
- RESOURCES: Suicide
“These mini-books are short, biblical, and inexpensive” – Tim Challies
Complete Set of 47 Mini-Books
- Satan’s Permission to Sift You like Wheat
- Avoid Taking Communion in an "Unworthy Manner"
- A Dozen Reasons God Hates Lying & Liars
- Does Romans 13:8 Teach It Is a Sin to Borrow Money?
- Five Reasons God Prunes Us
- What Is Sacrificial Giving?
- Eight Responsibilities of Church Members to their Leaders
- Four Lessons from the Bronze Serpent
- The Sin of Talking Too Much