7 Bible Passages to Know before Jehovah’s Witnesses Knock on Your Door
Last week, I had the joy of attending a regional EFCA gathering at which Greg Strand gave us a wonderful refresher on the doctrine of Christ. While reviewing the deity of Jesus Christ, we discussed how often the divine title “God” is used of Jesus the Son. Since Jehovah’s Witnesses deny the deity of Christ, and instead propagate the erroneous teaching of the early church heretic Arius (who taught that Jesus is not God but the first creature made by God), I thought it would be helpful to remind us of these seven key Scriptures.
- John 1:1 – The Word is eternal and the Word is God. This Word is identified later as the one who became human flesh; i.e. Jesus Christ (John 1:14).
- John 1:18 – Jesus Christ is equal with God the Father and has made Him known.
- John 20:28 – Thomas recognized the resurrected Jesus Christ as Lord and God.
- Romans 9:5 – Jesus Christ is God over all.
- Titus 2:13 – Jesus Christ is not only Savior, but also the great God.
- Hebrews 1:8-9 – The Son of God is equated with God who sits on the throne of heaven.
- 2 Peter 1:1 – Jesus Christ is both Savior and God.
Spend time studying these passages not merely for the purpose of refuting false teachers, but to worship Jesus Christ fully and rightly.
Sermon Podcast: Jesus Christ Is Lord of All
Recommended Pamphlets and Books
- Jehovah’s Witnesses: What You Need to Know (Quick Reference Guide)
- Questions for Jehovah’s Witnesses
- Reasoning from the Scriptures with Jehovah’s Witnesses
- 10 Questions & Answers on Jehovah’s Witnesses (pamphlet)