God Is Sovereign Over the Weather
The Lord is lord of all. Whether rain or snow, cold or heat, wind or stagnant air, hurricane or calm, the Lord is the one who continues to uphold all of creation by His mighty power. It is Jesus Christ who “upholds all things by the word of His power” (Hebrews 1:3), and God uses all kinds of weather to serve His purposes.
What parts of the environment does God control? Over what does His sovereignty reign? Here are 21 ways God is sovereign over the environment. Let this encourage your heart and strengthen your faith.
- He created and controls the seasons (Genesis 1:14; Psalms 74:16-17; 104:19).
- He raises the sun every morning (Psalm 104:19).
- He created, named, and leads the stars (Psalm 147:4; Job 38:32-33).
- He causes the wind to blow (Exodus 14:21; Job 28:25-27; Psalm 78:26; Jonah 1:4; Matthew 8:26-27; Mark 4:39-41; Luke 8:24-25; James 5:17-18).
- He created and controls the water cycle (Job 26:8-9; Job 5:10; Psalm 135:7; 147:8; Matthew 5:45; Acts 14:17; Joel 2:23).
- He sustains the earth (Job 5:10; Psalm 135:6).
- He sends the morning dew (Proverbs 3:19-20).
- He causes lunar eclipses (Job 26:8-9).
- He provides for the growth of grass and crops (Psalm 147:8).
- He sends lightning (Job 37:1-18; Job 1:16).
- He sends loud thunderstorms, which I love (Jeremiah 10:13; 1 Samuel 12:17-18).
- He sends hail and snow, ice and frost (Psalm 148:8; Job 38:22-30).
- He nourishes the earth so that it produces crops and fruit (Leviticus 26:4; Job 36:26-33; Deuteronomy 11:10-15; 28:12; Zechariah 10:1; Psalms 104:13-14).
- He brings the spring seed time and fall harvest (Jeremiah 5:24; Genesis 8:22; Deuteronomy 33:13-14).
- He paints the rainbow of His promise (Genesis 9:14-16).
- He sends earthquakes (Psalms 68:7-9).
- He provides plentiful pasture lands for livestock (Isaiah 30:23).
- He sends the scorching sun (Genesis 8:22; Jonah 4:8).
- He withholds rain, causing drought (1 Kings 8:35-36; 2 Chronicles 6:26-27).
- He will destroy the present earth with fire—the ultimate global warming (2 Peter 3:10).
- He will create a new heaven and a new earth where He will forever dwell with His redeemed ones (Revelation 21:1-5).
What Is Your Attitude Toward the Weather?
Jerry Bridges, in his book Trusting God, astutely reminds us that our attitude about the weather reveals our attitude toward God.
Complaining about the weather seems to be a favorite American pastime. Sadly, we Christians often get caught up in this ungodly habit of our society. But when we complain about the weather, we are actually complaining against God who sent us our weather. We are, in fact, sinning against God (see Numbers 11:1). Not only do we sin against God when we complain about the weather, we also deprive ourselves of the peace that comes from recognizing our heavenly Father is in control of it.
Recommended Reading: Chapter 6: “God’s Power over Nature” in Jerry Bridges’ Trusting God.